Ph.D., University of New Hampshire (1983)
Interviews and Articles: PLEASE CLICK HERE
• While the Undertaker Sleeps: Collected and New Prose Poems, MadHat Press, 2023.
• Dreaming Awake: New Contemporary Prose Poetry from the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom, co-editor with Cassandra Atherton, Madhat Press, 2023.
• Shot: A Novel in Stories, MadHat Press, 2021.
• Truths, Falsehoods, and a Wee Bit of Honesty: A Short Primer on the Prose Poem, with Selected Letters from Russell Edson, essays, 2020 from MadHat Press.
• A Cast-iron Airplane That Can Actually Fly: Commentaries from 80 American Poets on their Prose Poetry, edited by Peter Johnson. MadHat Press, 2019.
• Old Man Howling at the Moon, prose poems, from MadHat Press, 2018.
• The Night Before Krampus: A Christmas Carol, 2017.
• The Life and Times of Benny Alvarez, a middle-grade novel (HarperCollins, June, 2014)
• Out of Eden, young adult novel (Namelos Press, February, 2014)
• The Amazing Adentures of John Smith, Jr., AKA Houdini, a novel (HarperCollins, 2012)
• Rants and Raves: Selected and New Prose Poems, 2010 (White Pine Press).
• Loserville, novel, 2009 (Front Street; namelos).
• What Happened, novel, 2007 (Front Street; namelos).
• Eduardo & I , a book of prose poems, 2006 (White Pine Press).
• Sentence: A Journal of Prose Poetics, guest editor, 2005
• I’m a Man, a collection of short stories, 2003 (White Pine Press).
• Miracles & Mortifications, a book of prose poems, 2001 (White Pine Press).
• The Best of The Prose Poem: An International Journal, editor, 2000
• Pretty Happy!, a book of prose poems, 1997 (White Pine Press).
• Book of the Year for RI Secondary Schools for Out of Eden (2016)
• Houdini chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the “Best Children’s Books of 2012.”
• Houdini chosen by RI Center for the Book to represent RI at the National Book Fair in Washington, DC.
• Creative Writing Fellowship from Rhode Island Council on the Arts (2010)
• The Paterson Prize for What Happened (2008)
• Book of the Year for RI Secondary Schools for What Happened (2008)
• Creative Writing Fellowship from Rhode Island Council on the Arts (2002)
• James Laughlin Award from The Academy of American Poets (2001)
• Creative Writing Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts (1999)
CONTACT PETER JOHNSON
Naturally, this blog is set up to encourage feedback and discussion. I’ve grown accustomed to discussing literature in a classroom setting over my years in academia, and I look forward to corresponding with young adult and middle-grade fans, readers and writers over this web site. However, if you’d prefer to contact me privately, simply use the link below.
Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you,
— Peter Johnson